10 Fun Feline Facts
1. Cats can produce about 100 various sounds. Just compare that with dogs which produce about ten sounds.
2. It is believed that seeing a white cat on the threshold before marriage symbolizes luck. In Russia many people believe that black cats protect the home from thieves.
3. Cats detest the smell of lemon or orange so experts recommend scenting furniture with lemon or orange aroma in case your cat scratches it.
4. Cats usually give birth to 1-8 kittens at a time and on average have 2-3 broods a year. A cat may give birth to over 100 kittens within its life.
5. The cat's skeleton consists of 290 bones and has 517 muscles. Cat's ears may do 180-degree turns. A cat has 32 muscles in every ear it employs twelve or more muscles to move the ears.
6. Every year Americans spend four billion dollars for cat food which is one billion dollars more than they usually spend on baby food!
7. The pattern on a cat's nose is as unique as a human fingerprint.
8. It is known that 25 percent of cat owners blow-dry their cats after bathing.
9. Cats need just one sixth of the daylight necessary for people to see. Cats' night vision is astonishing! In darkness cat's eyes use even the light reflected by retina. Cats may see at a distance of up to 60 meters and their periphery vision makes up approximately 285 degrees.
10. Cats are the laziest mammals; they sleep 16 hours a day. When not asleep cats devote 30 percent of their time to care of themselves.